(Was RIIVEH201D until Sept 2020)
This defensive driving course (with 4WD elements) covers the skills and knowledge required to operate a light vehicle (a vehicle under 4.5 tonnes) in the Resources and Infrastructure Industries. While the national guidelines for RIIVEH201E specify that it is applicable to any light vehicle, at Driven Training we’ve customised our RIIVEH201E course to include four wheel drive elements and 4WD vehicles. This unit is appropriate for those working in operational roles.
Note: The course completion certificate will not contain the words “defensive driving course” because the official name of the course is “RIIVEH201E Operate A Light Vehicle” (as defined by training.gov.au). In addition to covering defensive driving techniques, this 8-hour course also covers other material. If you are after a course that just covers defensive driving techniques, see our 4-hour On Road Defensive Driving Course (which is not a nationally recognised course).
We can deliver the RIIVEH201E driver training course:
- at our two driver training facilities in:
- Yatala, Queensland
(between the Gold Coast and Brisbane)
- Chinchilla, Queensland
(four hours north-west of Brisbane or four hours west of the Sunshine Coast).
- Yatala, Queensland
- Anywhere in Australia
Our training instructors are also able to travel to your site, anywhere in Australia, to teach the
RIIVEH201E Operate A Light Vehicle driver training course. There may be a Charge for Travel when time spent travelling both to and from training location is more than 1 hour in total, and where there are mobilisation and demobilisation costs.
Please contact our office for course pricing.
Driven Training Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organisation (40780)
RIIVEH201E – Course Structure
The RIIVEH201E four wheel drive driver training course consists of:
- Sign-in and induction
- Classroom presentation and discussion
- Static practical lessons around the vehicle
- Hands-on lessons and assessment in a four wheel drive
- There will be some self paced study.
RIIVEH201E – Information Topics Covered
The topics covered in the theory lessons include:
- Legal requirements and company policy/procedure – land access
- Prestart/post operational checks – load security/fault finding
- Defensive driving techniques – night driving/animals/wet roads/environmental impacts
- Journey management – fatigue/communication
- Four-wheel drive systems
- On/off road driving techniques – hazard identification
Unit of competency: Here is the official government definition of what is covered in the RIIVEH201E driver training course.
RIIVEH201E – Practical Component
On the RIIVEH201E course you will undergo 4 hours of practical training in a 4×4 vehicle covering the following topics:
- Prestart/post operational checks – load security/fault repair
- Journey management
- Driving on public and unsealed roads – emergency braking/cornering.
- Adherence to road rules and company policy and procedures
- Changing a wheel
Training Packages that Include RIIVEH201E:
- RII – Resources and Infrastructure Industry Training Package
Training Qualifications that Include RIIVEH201E:
The RIIVEH201E is a required training component for the following qualifications:
- Certificate III in Civil Construction
- Certificate III in Resource Processing
- Certificate III in Surface Extraction Operations
- Certificate II in Cross Industry Operations
- Certificate II in Well Servicing Operations
- Certificate II in Drilling Operations
- Certificate II in Underground Coal Mining
- Certificate II in Surface Extraction Operations
- Certificate III & IV in Outdoor Leadership
- Certificate II in Resources and Infrastructure Work Preparation
More Driver Training Courses
Take a look at some of our other courses: