(Was RIIVEH201D until Sept 2020)
Note: The course completion certificate will not contain the words “defensive driving course” because the official name of the course is “RIIVEH201E Operate A Light Vehicle” (as defined by training.gov.au). In addition to covering defensive driving techniques, this 8-hour course also covers other material. If you are after a course that just covers defensive driving techniques, see our 4-hour On Road Defensive Driving Course (which is not accredited by training.gov).
We can deliver the RIIVEH201E driver training course:
- at our two driver training facilities in:
- Yatala, Queensland
(between the Gold Coast and Brisbane)
- Chinchilla, Queensland
(four hours north-west of Brisbane or four hours west of the Sunshine Coast).
- Yatala, Queensland
- Anywhere in Australia
Our training instructors are also able to travel to your site, anywhere in Australia, to teach the
RIIVEH201E Operate A Light Vehicle driver training course.
Please contact our office for course pricing.
RIIVEH201E – Course Structure
The RIIVEH201E four wheel drive driver training course consists of:
- Sign-in and induction
- Classroom presentation and discussion
- Static practical lessons around the vehicle
- Hands-on lessons and assessment in a four wheel drive.
RIIVEH201E – Information Topics Covered
The topics covered in the theory lessons include:
- Legal requirements and company policy/procedure – land access
- Prestart/post operational checks – load security/fault finding
- Defensive driving techniques – night driving/animals/wet roads/environmental impacts
- Journey management – fatigue/communication
- Four-wheel drive systems
- On/off road driving techniques – hazard identification
Unit of competency: Here is the official government definition of what is covered in the RIIVEH201E driver training course.
RIIVEH201E – Practical Component
On the RIIVEH201E course you will undergo 4 hours of practical training in a 4×4 vehicle covering the following topics:
- Prestart/post operational checks – load security/fault repair
- Journey management
- Driving on public and unsealed roads – emergency braking/cornering.
- Adherence to road rules and company policy and procedures
- Changing a wheel
Training Packages that Include RIIVEH201E:
- RII – Resources and Infrastructure Industry Training Package
Training Qualifications that Include RIIVEH201E:
The RIIVEH201E is a required training component for the following qualifications:
- Certificate III in Civil Construction
- Certificate III in Resource Processing
- Certificate III in Surface Extraction Operations
- Certificate II in Cross Industry Operations
- Certificate II in Well Servicing Operations
- Certificate II in Drilling Operations
- Certificate II in Underground Coal Mining
- Certificate II in Surface Extraction Operations
- Certificate III & IV in Outdoor Leadership
- Certificate II in Resources and Infrastructure Work Preparation
More Driver Training Courses
Take a look at some of our other courses: